The Complete Guide to Service Learning [pb]- Revised & Updated Second Edition
Proven, Practical Ways to Engage Students in Civic Responsibility, Academic Curriculum & Social Action
By Cathryn Berger Kaye, M.A.
The Complete Guide to Service Learning is the go-to resource in the field of service learning. It is an award-winning treasury of service activities, community service project ideas, quotes, reflections, and resources that can help teachers and youth workers engage young hearts and minds in reaching out and giving back. Author and internationally known service learning expert Cathryn Berger Kaye presents service learning- its importance, steps, essential elements, and challenges- within a curricular context and organized by theme. This second edition maintains the easy-to-use format of the original and is enhanced with updated information on service learning programs and pedagogy.
- A blueprint for service learning, from getting started to assessing the experience
- Integration of K–12 service learning standards
- Inspiring quotations, background information and resources, preparation activities, real-life examples, and community service project ideas that have worked for other teachers
- 13 thematic chapters covering topics commonly selected for service learning projects such as animal protection and care, elders, emergency readiness, the environment, hunger and homelessness, literacy, special needs, and more
- Hundreds of real-life field-tested service learning projects
- Ideas for fortifying service learning programs by incorporating global literacy and creating a culture of service
The online digital content has over 200 pages of forms and bonus materials and includes:
- All of the planning and tracking forms from the book, many of which can be customized
- 39 sample planning templates for all service learning themes at each grade level
- 10 original essays written by experts in the field
- 22 author interviews, including interviews with authors Laurie David, Cynthia Lord, Jordan Sonnenblick, Kathe Koja, Danica Novgorodoff, Janet Tashjian, Deborah Ellis, Sonia Levitin, Ellen Senisi, and more!
- More than 300 additional “Bookshelf” recommendations that describe books that offer teachable moments about community service, responsibility, caring, and helping, as well as ways to encourage discussion and combine literature and service learning
Drawing on her years as a classroom teacher and international service learning consultant, trainer, speaker, and program developer, Cathryn Berger Kaye tells you everything you want and need to know about service learning. Recommended for K–12 teachers and administrators, college and university faculty, youth group leaders, government agencies and nonprofits, and after-school programs.
Teachers, parents, and group leaders: Use this valuable resource in a classroom or youth-serving organization, after-school program, or as a family. 288 pages
Order options: in-store pickup, curbside pickup or free Media Mail shipping within the contiguous United States